Monday, February 27, 2017

NWI Comic-Con, Round Three



Yep, this is the third year for NWI Comic-Con, and my third year as well! Brian Grabinski and his wife Kelly run a smooth event, and every year it improves. They also support the community while doing this. They donated tickets to the Veteran to convention program, so a veteran and his family could attend their first comic-con ever! They also offer discounted tickets to veterans, police, firefighters, and paramedics! Plus, there was a silent raffle this year to benefit the Humane Society Calumet Area and The Northwest Indiana Cancer Kids Foundation (a big thank you to all involved with that). Brian tried to get a Kickstarter campaign going in an attempt to run more than one day this year, sadly, the goal wasn't quite met. There's always hope for next year! So keep your ears open...
 I did a blog the first year of the con as well. Last year I worked for a media company that I covered the con for, and was sorely disappointed how little they seemed to care about it. It doesn't look like they covered it at all this year. So I am happy to say, I'm back at it with my own blog!! The artists and artisans are amazing, as well as the cosplayers! Add the dealers to that, and well, it's a great way to spend a Saturday in NWIndiana! Being an artistic photographer myself, it's cool to run into fellow artists and to see friends enjoying the day.
 If you've never been to this con, I HIGHLY recommend you go. There are so many talented local artists here, and I'm big on supporting local! Yes, at opening there is a line to get in, and it is crowded most of the day. But when cons in Chicago cost so much, and this is so reasonable, AND close to home, it's to be expected. 

I hope you enjoy my photos! If you've never been to NWI Comic-Con (shame on you! lol), this will give you some idea of what to expect...
 If you see and like a photo, feel free to download and share it. I only ask for credit if you share it on social media, and I'd really appreciate it if you did not crop out my watermark (see my copyright link at the bottom of the page). I'd also appreciate you sharing my blog, all you want! On with the photos of my day at NWI Comic-Con...









The next photo is my friend (and amazing artist) Chris Guzman..




The following photo is of "Create A Character w/ Audience Participation" with artist Dan Dougherty, and Matt Valuckis (of Underground Prophets) emceeing..





My new friend Luis Marquez, the other Emcee. He seems like a lot of fun....





I was drawn to the next artist (no pun intended, lol) by the painting hanging on the right. It's so beautiful. He explained to me that he combines different techniques, and digitally no less, to create his work. His name is Pui Che...






And now for the Childrens Cosplay Parade. I tried to get everyone, but sometimes they boogie across that stage, lol...










































Time to wander some more, and refrain from buying one of everything!



























Time for the Teen Cosplay Competition....
The judges were, left to right..
Chris English (Papa Bear), Shayna Polomchak (Termina Cosplay), and Monica Gonzalez (Geeks A Gogo)








































Gotta give props to the wonderful sponsors...





There's Matt, doing his thing...

It's a Cyber selfie! Don't get up graded Ms. Ghostbuster!! 



Mr Guzman, trying to look busy... lol









Time to get ready for the Adult Cosplay Competition!!








































































































More wandering while they judge and prepare for the awards...












Time for the awards! Agian, I tried to get everyone, but I'm sure I missed a few... 



















This is Casey Renee (Casey Renee Cosplay). I first saw her as an elf, and she was (and still is) beautiful! She was one of the adult judges.


James Wulfgar (Wulfgar Weapons & Props)..
Another of the adult judges




While I was unable to get a good photo of him, the futuristic pirate was the third adult judge, Timothy R. Harrison








The Count didn't even have to get up on stage to get his award! lol

















Our showrunner, Brian Grabinski, announcing the big winners...

Best group...

Best individual....

Best in show...
And she looked AMAZING!!!



Weapons up!! 















The Selfie King...
And last, but certainly not least, my friend Christina, with The Count...





** ALL photos on this blog are property of Christi Bushby, copyrighted and protected as such by law. Please see my copyright page for details and/or permissions of use. 

Please feel free to share my blog! There are social media buttons on the bottom for your convenience!


Support local music and the arts!!

"The earth without art is just eh..."




5 comments:

  1. Very well done blog. Love the photos . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weren't there 3 judges for adults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was. Unfortunately, I was standing below the judges table at that time, and I unable to get a photo of them....

      Delete