Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Day at Brookfield Zoo



Did you know that Brookfield Zoo is open all year? Did you also know some of the animals are more active in cooler temperatures? 

 I don't necessarily recommend bundling up the kids for a day at the zoo in January, but for older kids and adults, there's still a good full day of animal viewing to be had. And warm buildings to get out of the cold for a few and visit some smaller critters. And a big plus, In January and February the zoo offers free days (normal admission is $16.95 per adult)!! Unlike the museums in Chicago, it's free for everybody!! (there is still a $10.00 parking charge)

For me, I like it a little less hectic. Sure, not all the animals are active or outside (the grizzlies were hibernating) and not all the food stands are open, but I'll catch things I would have missed on a busy day. Like the horse statue above. I don't recall seeing that before. I'm sure it's been there for I don't know how long, but I never noticed it before. And I enjoy time at the zoo alone. It's one of my "happy" places. The other being the woods.  So, off to Brookfield Zoo with my camera....


First stop was the bison and The Great Bear Wilderness. This exhibit was built in 2010 and let me say, I think they did a wonderful job! The bears, bison, and wolves all have plenty of room and their habitats are grassy and have more natural landscapes. My only wish is that the bald eagle had a bigger enclosure, it seems pretty small for such a majestic bird.


 I visited the bison twice in my travels that day. I like to photograph them against the snowy background.



 The size of polar bears never ceases to amaze me. I was hoping to convey that with the photo of his foot, but it didn't work the way I wanted it too. I still like the photo though.



















I like these two photos, he looks like a plush furry friend that you could just hug! Not that I recommend hugging a polar bear....




Next stop was The Living Coast.  I like aquariums as much as zoos, and you get a little of that here.






 It was a cool surprise to see the moray eel swimming about. Normally, they are trying to hide and become part of the backdrop. lol

This time it was the seahorses trying to hide, as you can see below. 



 Who doesn't love penguins? Especially when the cuddle..


On to the Reptile and Bird building....


 This is a Tawny Frogmouth. They are native to Australia. I love these birds. I think they're just cool.  There is one in the Australia exhibit as well. (as you will see soon)

 Yes, I like turtles too. I had one as a child. His death was ruled as accidental. I was away for the summer and not involved. I do not wish to discuss it any further. lol











 This is another bird native to Australia, the Kookaburra. The zoo has two Laughing kookaburras, the other is also in the Australia exhibit. I think what has drawn me to these birds is the memory of a song we sang when I was in Girl Scouts. Originally an Australian nursery rhyme, it was adopted by the Girl Scouts as a traditional song. The song also plays an important part in the Doctor Who episode "Fear Her". And as some of my readers know, I am a big Doctor Who fan. Hence the title of my blog. 



On to The Swamp....








I love the river otters, they are so playful and inquisitive. I put my camera bag and coat down, it was warm in the swamp, and I wanted to try to capture some photos of the fast little boogers. As soon as I did, it was like they wanted my stuff! I think if they could have, they would have rifled through my bag looking for things to play with. They were interested in my camera while I taking pictures and they really liked my scarf. lol



Next stop, Tropic World! 
This exhibit has been around since the 1980's and is a zoo favorite. I've been lucky enough that the past couple of my visits there were gorilla babies. This was another one of those times.. It was also apparently siesta time as well. lol




   




On my way to the African Savannah exhibit, I passed by the bison.. and the sun made an appearance. 





The African Savannah.....






I was well, surprised, to see the way this little guy gets around. Such tiny hooves. Looks like he's wearing tiny platform shoes. lol 






And now....Australia!


















More of the Tawny Frogmouth and the Kookaburra. I do think they're both pretty cool birds.


 Another one of my Aussie favorites, the Wombat. I think they're adorable! I've never been able to get a really good photo, it's pretty dark in their habitat. I don't want to use my flash and scare the bejeezus outta them. lol I think this is my best photo to date.

Next, The Fragile Desert


 I haven't had cable for a long time. I refuse to pay for TV, but this reminds me of that show that was on the Discovery Channel. Love meerkats, so cute!



 I don't remember what this guy is but I thought he was unique and beautiful

 Don't be fooled by the cuteness of these next three photos. The Black Footed Cat is native to a semi-desert habitat in southern Africa and can defend itself fiercely. 





The last stop of the day was the big cats. Unfortunately, or not, Mr. Lion was the only cat out and about. But he seemed to be a ham for the camera!  












 Heelloooo......

 I SAID HEEELLLOOOO!!!!!!


Thank you. 














And that was my day. A little chilly, but I had a great time. Not hard when you connect with animals and nature the way I do. Thanks for visiting my blog and viewing my photos. I hope this will inspire you to visit you local zoo. Every visitor helps fund the zoo in some way, even on a free day. I know some of my parking fee and money spent for lunch will help in some way.


8400 31st St
Brookfield Il
60513


** ALL photos on this blog are property of Christi Bushby, copyrighted and protected as such by law. Please see my copyright page for details and/or permissions of use. 









No comments:

Post a Comment