Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Steepwater Band's 20th Anniversary W/ Special Guests The Handcuffs


After twenty years together, what can I say about The Steepwater Band that hasn't already been said by so many others? Well... how about my Steepwater story?
I met Joe at my job, probably around 1999. I worked at a gas station that was near his apartment and he was a regular customer. That's also how I met Jeff and Tod, they came in with Joe once in a while. I remember when Joe introduced them to me, they were on the way to band practice. Time and time again, he told me I should come see the band. I didn't follow any local bands then, so I kept saying "yeah" and "I will", but it wasn't a priority for me (totally dumb, lol)... Fast forward a few years.. I worked at a different location for the same company, and moved a county over. I don't remember how, probably on a marquee, I found out they were going to be playing at a bar near my home. I considered going, but wasn't sure... Then I got in a fight with my boyfriend, and off I went.. lol. You ever have a moment in your life that you will NEVER forget? I mean besides the usual family events? This was one of those moments.. 
I want to say it was 2001. The bar was "The Stadium" on Rt 6 in South Haven (Valparaiso) Indiana. At the time, it was just Joe, Jeff, and Tod (If you know the bands history, you know what I mean). I typically experience new things with no expectations, so I certainly was NOT expecting this to be a defining moment my life, and I mean that with all sincerity. That moment has affected my life PROFOUNDLY. My mind isn't what it used to be, but I do remember this.. For the first time ever, I was astounded by a guitar player. I couldn't believe my eyes, his hands moved (and still do) so damn fast! And Joe and Tod!? WOW!! The music totally kicked ass, and the next day, I called my best friend and told her "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS BAND!!!" I knew these guys were something special that very night. And I've been following and hoping the best for them ever since...
Since then, the profound effect I was speaking of? I can't begin to tell you how many friends I've made (and I'm still making, I met a new friend on the night of THIS show), and how much new music I've discovered (again, still, and at this show), because of them. I even met the love of my life, my husband, because of them (he discovered them and became a fan 6 yrs ago)! 
My dad used to be a tattoo artist, and I had him do my Steepwater tattoo (yes, in case you don't know me, I do have a Steepwater tattoo. I think I had it done around 2005). Just before he started, he asked me "What if they break up?" I told him, "It doesn't matter, they'll always be a part of my life in one way or another." Since I hadn't met my husband yet, I didn't know how much that would be true.. I may not be super close to them (I'm a bit of an introvert), but they'll always be family to me..
So needless to say, it was a given that I would be at this show. I had to be, period. And what a night it was! Both bands ROCKED, and it was so cool to see some old friends again.. 

On to the photos.. You might notice changes in the colors looking thru them, sometimes the lighting at gigs is a bit difficult for photography. When that happens, I change it up a bit and try to do some color correcting when editing my photos. 



I had never heard of The Handcuffs before (still learning about new music, thanks guys).. They were AWESOME! I highly recommend this band, and if you get a chance, GO SEE THEM!!
















































Here comes Steepwater.. While I was able to move around a bit for The Handcuffs, that wasn't the case for The Steepwater Band, which I expected. So I was stage right, rockin' out, helping with merch, and taking photos, while my hubby was stage left...




I took few chances (that paid off), went to the back of the crowd, and held my camera above my head...




































I liked the way Tod's strings caught the light in the next two photos, and then they looked better in B&W..












































Just before their first encore, the guys were given the "High & Humble Awards"... And they are well deserved... This band works their asses off...










A little Steepwater makes everybody happy.... 







** ALL photos on this blog are property of Christi Bushby, copyrighted and protected as such by law. Please see my copyright page for details and/or permissions of use. 


Please feel free to share my blog! There are social media buttons on the bottom left for your convenience!

Support local music and the arts!!



"The earth without art is just eh..."



1 comment:

  1. These photos are amazing!!! Your history with these fellas in Steepwater is fun to hear. I’m jealous of all you fans that discovered them so many more years before I did. But, better late than never! I hope to see Jeff solo and thus hope to see you and Wes again!!

    ReplyDelete